Tuesday, August 27, 2013

secret keeper no more

Today, I was asked a question that I did not know the answer to.
I was at UVU figuring out a few things amongst all the 'first week of school chaos,' when I ran into a friend that sat me down for a good while as we each waited for our next class to start. We got onto the topic of how each person carries their own personality that carries both positive and negative traits. He then paused and gave me a good stare as he asked, "Alicia, why do you keep secrets?" 

I was kind of taken back and slightly offended, but when I gave it a good thought, I realized that he was true. I keep a lot of secrets. In fact, everything that I have been doing this year has been kept a secret. Why? ... To be honest, I have no idea.
 It all goes back to my personality. 

So after another 20 minutes of a great conversation with that friend, I decided I was going to be an open book. And I have to admit, I did pretty good today. I ran into a few more friends that asked me what I had been doing and what my next plans were in life and I told them. I told them the biggest secret I've kept from my family and friends for weeks and to be honest, it felt good letting it out. It felt good having other people finally know what I am going to do and to have them respond with, "what can I help with?" 

Sometimes, keeping secrets thinking that you're going to be better off not telling, actually hurts more than helps. And this secret was meant to be shared. I guess it just needed the right opportunity. The right moment. The right time. And that time is now. 
Dear Sister Card, you're hereby called to serve as a Missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to the people of New York, New York speaking Spanish.

Leaving in four weeks. Boo yah!

8 comments:

  1. AHHH!! Congrats Alicia!!!! You are going to be such an amazing missionary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much girl. Loving your posts on your married life. You're looking happier then ever :)) love you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks shayli. hope everything is going well with you. you and your husband are adorable !

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Love you Mom! Couldn't have done it without you

      Delete
  4. still in shock! so glad you decided to open up and share with me:) miss you so much and am so happy and excited for you!! xoxo muah! love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love you && you've been a big part of my life in making this change so I just had to share this with you. cannot wait to see you this weekend :))

      Delete